Instructions for Requesting Student Data
The Office of the Registrar's data access policy, which is based on FERPA and University policy, is included in the data request form that is required of all requestors. By submitting a request, you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions of that policy. Questions about requesting undergraduate applicant data should be directed to Thomas Skottene (5-5392); questions about graduate and professional applicant data should be directed to Beth Kibler (4-4637); questions about student data should be directed to Rod Hoewing (4-6170).
Important note: Not all requests can be approved under established policies. If we cannot approve your request, we will provide you with an explanation.
We are required by the campus implementation of FERPA to maintain a file of supporting material on uses made of student data. Therefore, please use the request form to provide the information listed below. Missing or incomplete information will delay processing of your request.
- A statement of how you plan to use the information – e.g., mailing material informing applicants/students of a service you are providing, mailing and checking the return of a research instrument, etc.
- A copy of the material you are mailing, if you are requesting mailing materials. An option to “Send attachement(s) for the request” (via email) will be available on the confirmation page that your request for Student Data has been sent. Proposed mailings to students are subject to approval by the Office of the Dean of Students.
- A carefully worded description of the selection criteria identifying the group of applicants/students for whom you are requesting the information – e.g., seniors in LAS whose home address is 61003 through 61008.
- The kind of report format you want – e.g., Mailing Center mailing labels, a list, a dataset for transfer – and the data fields to be displayed on that report. If you need mailing labels, we will coordinate your request with the Department of Printing Services; Printing Services will bill you for this service.
- The order in which you wish the information – e.g., alpha by name, ZIP code.
- The person who will be responsible for the use of the data, if other than you. Faculty and graduate students who are requesting data for research should forward their requests to the Division of Management Information, not to the Office of the Registrar.
- The name and phone number of the person to contact for additional information, if other than you.
- The date when you need the information. Our normal completion time is between 2 and 6 weeks from the receipt of your request; turnaround time depends on the complexity of the request and the volume of requests we are processing.