Mid-Term Grades for Undergraduate Students
The Urbana Senate and academic Associate Deans of the undergraduate colleges have reaffirmed the necessity of mid-term grades for freshmen. Article 3 – Academic Policies and Regulations of the Student Code states that instructors are required to provide an evaluation of a student’s performance by mid-term.
Mid-term grades will be collected for all new first time freshmen enrolled on campus for university credit. These grades are not recorded on the student’s permanent record and are advisory grades used for counseling purposes.
Download Current Mid-Term Grade Collection Process (PDF)
CRNs Requiring Mid-Term Grades (XLS)
Refer to the Processing Schedule for the deadline to submit mid-term grades.
To facilitate grade entry, it is recommended that you have a list of the Course Reference Numbers (CRNs) for the courses you are teaching. You can obtain the CRNs in one of 3 ways:
Download Mid-Term Grade Entry Instructions (PDF)
Back to Top
Mid-Term Grade Entry Instructions
In order to access the Self-Service System ALL faculty members must establish an EnterpriseID. For instructions visit the the Office of the Registrar website: http://registrar.illinois.edu/staff/records/banner.html
- To facilitate mid-term grade entry, it is recommended that you have a list of the Course Reference Numbers (CRNs) for the courses you are teaching. You can obtain the CRNs in one of 3 ways:
- Refer to the email from the Office of the Registrar regarding Mid-Term Grade Entry
- Retrieve your class roster from the DMI Consolidated Class Roster System
- Review the CRNs Requiring Mid-Term Grades file
- Select or type the following link to the Self-Service System on your browser http://apps.uillinois.edu.
- Select the link Student & Faculty Self-Service.
- Select the link University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC).
- Use your Enterprise ID to log in. You must be either a primary or secondary instructor assigned to a specific class (with a distinct Course Reference Number, or CRN) in order to access class rosters and enter grades via the web.
- Select Faculty & Advisor Services.
- Select Faculty Services.
- Select Mid-Term Grade Entry.
- Select a specific term and a specific class section to begin grade entry. You will not be able to access the class list if there are no students for whom midterm grades should be submitted.
- If the CRN is not displayed, contact your department.
- Only the students who need to be graded will be listed alphabetically with information about their University Identification Number, number of credit hours enrolled, and registration status.
- To assign a grade for individual students, use the drop-down box that appears in the Grade column. Only applicable grades will be displayed in the drop-down box. To assign a mid-term grade for multiple students in each specified class section, refer to the Mass Grade Entry Tool instructions (PDF).
- To save the grades you have entered, select the Submit button (it is recommended that you submit/save your grades often, it is not necessary to enter and submit grades all at once).
- You will have the ability to edit and/or correct grades you have already submitted through the Self-Service system up until the Office of the Registrar published grade deadline.
- Repeat steps 9 through 13 to enter grades for each course you are teaching.
- You will NOT be able to view mid-term grades submitted for your students AFTER the submission deadline. Select Class List Summary and use your web browser print options. The Printable Class List – Summary ONLY displays FINAL grades.
Back to Top
The mid-term population of students is defined as New First Time Freshmen regardless of the number of hours earned.
The Office of the Registrar will load a MIDTERM grade comment to the gradable sections for all new first time freshmen students.
The Mid-term Grade Worksheet contains only the names of students who are in the mid-term population; therefore, a roster may not exist or may list only a portion of the entire class.
An asterisk in the Grade column on the DMI Consolidated Class Rosters for Instructors identifies students who require a mid-term grade.
The MIDTERM grade comment can also be viewed in Banner on the Class Roster form, SFASLST.
Once the deadline to enter mid-term grades has passed, the ability to enter or update the web mid-term grade feature will be electronically shut off.
Instructors will NOT be able to view mid-term grades submitted for students AFTER the submission deadline. Instructors are encouraged to print the class list after submitting the mid-term grades. (In Self-Service, select Class List Summary and use the web browser print options.) The Printable Class List – Summary ONLY displays FINAL grades.
Students will be able to view the mid-term grades once the faculty deadline to enter grades has passed.
Student evaluations at mid-term are used for counseling purposes, and are not recorded on the student’s permanent record.
Mid-term grades not submitted by the deadline will not display on the college and departmental advising reports.
Back to Top
Mid-Term Grade Processing Reports
Three new view direct reports will be available for college and department staff:
Mid-Term Grades (SR1MGRA01B)
This student grade report will list all courses and mid-term grades (if submitted) for ALL new first time freshmen. Data elements include: student’s name, UIN, phone number, email, mailing address, department/major, course subject, number, section, campus, course title, grade, credit hours, earned hours, attempted hours, GPA hours and mid-term GPA. This report will be indexed by college and sorted alphabetically by student.
Mid-Term Grades Below C (SR1MGRA02B)
This report is a subset of the population of students in the Mid-Term Grades report listed above. Only students who received at least one mid-term grade below a C will be included in this report.
Mid-Term Grades Below C Data (SR1MGRA03B)
This is a downloadable data version of the Report of Grades Below C. Select demographic and GPA data elements will be included in this report.
Mid-term Grade Data will be in the EDW
MIDTERM grade comment:
SFRSTCR_GCMT_CODE in T_STUDENT_CRS_REG_HIST – SECT_GRADE_BK_COMMENT_CD
Midterm grade submitted by the instructor:
SFRSTCR_GRDE_CODE_MID in T_STUDENT_CRS_REG_HIST - CRN_MDTRM_GRADE
Users with Banner access to view registration records will have access to these reports. If you are unable to retrieve these reports in ViewDirect, please contact your Unit Security Contact (USC) to obtain access.
Back to Top