Step-by-step instructions for online registration, along with a glossary of common registration terms, are available below.
ID and Password Help
- Before using Student Self-Service for the first time, you must obtain your Enterprise ID. If you have already used the Financial Aid or Student Accounts system, you have already established your Enterprise ID and password and can move on to the next step.
- If you're a first-time user, obtain your Enterprise ID using your campus NetID (in your email address, firstname.lastname@example.org, “xxxxx” is your NetID) and NetID password. All Illinois students are assigned NetIDs and passwords when they're admitted to the University.
- After logging in, choose a new password following the criteria outlined. You are now ready to register!
- Go to Student Self-Service.
- Select the Urbana-Champaign campus.
- Enter your Enterprise ID and password.
- After logging in, the first screen you will see is the main menu, which welcomes you to the system and displays the following menu options: Registration & Records (used to register), Personal Information (used to verify or change your contact information), and Graduation Information (used to add yourself to the pending degree list if you plan to graduate at the end of the semester).
- Select “Registration & Records” to begin registration.
- This screen lists menu options available to help you register for class sections. Before you attempt to register, select “Registration Eligibility.”
- If you are not eligible to register, specific information on this page will describe why. This screen lists:
- Your time ticket (the earliest time you are authorized to register)
- Holds on your record that prevent registration activity (you will not be permitted to add or drop classes if you have a registration hold)
- Your academic standing (if you are on probation, your registration may be limited)
- Student status (if your status is not active, you will not be permitted to register)
- Class (for example, enrollment in some classes may be limited to juniors or seniors)
- Curriculum (your degree, college, and major)
Select a Term
- To begin registration, select a term for the Champaign-Urbana campus. If the term description contains “View Only,” it means that registration has not yet opened for the term, but you may still view classes offered for the term.
- Once you have selected a term and you are authorized to register, you can begin registering for classes.
Read and accept the registration agreement before proceeding to enroll in any classes with the University.
Search for Classes
- Select “Look-Up or Select Classes” if you want to search for classes to add.
- Select “Add/Drop Classes” if you know which specific Course Reference Numbers (CRNs) you wish to add.
- The Look-Up or Select Classes screen allows you to enter multiple search criteria to narrow your search. Click “Submit” at the bottom to begin a search for classes using your criteria.
Add a Class
- Your class search results are displayed on the Look-Up or Select Classes Results screen, allowing you to view class information and availability. If no classes are returned from your search, you may need to adjust your search criteria. A “C” will appear under the Select column if a class section is closed.
- To add a class, check the box in the Select column for the section you want to add, then click “Register” at the bottom of the page. Note that if you select “Add to Worksheet,” you will not be registered until you submit your registration worksheet.
- If you know in advance which specific CRNs you wish to add, select “Add/Drop Classes.” On the Add/Drop Classes screen, you can add classes by typing in one or more CRNs and then clicking “Submit Changes.” Be sure to enter CRNs starting in the left-most box. If you skip the first box, the registration system will think you didn’t enter any CRNs. If you are unable to register for a class, an error message will describe the reason you could not register.
Drop a Class
- You may also drop a class on the Add/Drop Classes screen. To drop a class, select “Drop” from the drop-down menu listed below the Action column for a specific class you wish to drop, then click “Submit Changes.”
- Before dropping a class, be sure you understand the possible consequences. You may be required to maintain full-time status or a certain number of credit hours as part of your program requirements. Dropping below full-time status may impact your financial aid. Select “Dropping Classes” on the Add/Drop Classes screen for more information about program requirements. International students should obtain permission from their international student office before dropping classes.
- You will not be permitted to drop your last class for the term. If you wish to drop all of your classes prior to the first day of class for the term, select “Cancel Registration” from the Registration menu for instructions.
- After adding or dropping classes, verify your schedule.
- The Student Schedule - Detail, Concise, or Week at a Glance screens display information about your class enrollment and schedule.
- To safely end your Student Self-Service session, log out using the EXIT link provided in the top right corner of the screen.
- Close all your web browser windows before leaving your computer.
Listed below are some key words and terms you will encounter when using Student Self-Service.
- Course Reference Number (CRN)—A CRN is a system-generated five-digit number that uniquely identifies a section.
- Expected Graduation Date—The Expected Graduation Date is used to indicate the number of semesters a student has to complete a degree.
- Hold—A hold prevents certain student activity such as registration, graduation, or the release of transcripts and grade reports.
- List of Values (LOV)—LOV windows list the values you can choose for a field. The values have been defined in a validation form as acceptable for this field. LOV windows display when you double-click a blue field or when you select “List” from the Help menu.
- Time Ticket—A time ticket displays the earliest date and time when a student may register each term. Registration then continues until classes begin.